Late 19th and 20th century Cuban immigration to the United States was impressive for the craft talents brought to the country. Along with their Spanish counterparts, skilled Cuban cigar makers made Tampa’s hand rolled cigars world-famous.
As early as 1899 Cuban immigrants formed recreational societies with varying degrees of success, and in 1902 Cuban workers founded “El Circulo Cubano” which means “Circle of Cubans.” It was a mutual aid society to “bind all Cuban residents of Ybor City/Tampa into a fraternal group, to offer assistance and help to the sick.” The club provided a gathering place for members and served as a unifying force in the Cuban community.
This is a close-up picture of the patio floor where the members placed metal strips into the concrete to form the letters and numbers, “Abril 1938 Pres. Francisco Garcia”.
music, costume contest, door prizes / $8.00 per person
Photo courtesy of San Antonio Antiques
Maura Cruz Lanz is the daughter of
Teresa González Cruz and Carlos Manuel Cruz (left couple) Photo courtesy of Mike Bulaja
October 04, 1931 - April 2, 2015
The artist of the exquisite drawing of our Círculo Cubano building. Born in Euclid, Ohio, graduated from the Cleveland Institute of Art. He was a commercial illustrator in Detroit, Michigan and then moved to Florida in 1980 opening his own art studio in Tampa.
May 11, 1952 Traditional Mother’s Day picnic in El Patio.
At table Left-Right: Evangelina Pedrero, Amelia Pedrero Perez, Rolando Perez Gomez, Amelita Castillo Pedrero, standing: Eduardo Pedrero Valdes, Francisco “Pancho” Blanco, Dolores “Lola” Pedrero Blanco, Arsenia Pedrero Corces, Gustavo “Nene” Corces. (picture shared by La Gaceta)
Third from the left is Jose Monterese.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Celebrating our building’s 100th Centennial Anniversary (1917-2017)